Wellness Care and Pet Vaccinations
for Charlotte, NC & the Surrounding Areas
If you live in the Charlotte, NC area, there are many benefits to bringing your pet into our animal clinic for a yearly wellness examination or checkup. These visits are an excellent opportunity for our friendly staff to conduct a thorough physical examination and develop a health profile for your pet. This helps us identify any current medical problems or other issues that can affect your pet’s health and their quality of life later on. Our staff can also keep your furry friend up to date on their required kitchen or puppy vaccinations.
Scheduling regular wellness visits at our animal clinic allows our caring team to detect and address any serious health issues before they progress.
During a wellness checkup, our experienced veterinarian will examine fifteen parameters and evaluate your pet’s weight and overall body condition. Our staff will ask you questions about your pet’s behavior, appetite, exercise habits, and regular activities at home. If your pet seems healthy, a wellness examination acts a baseline from which our team will be able to note any changes, such as weight gain, weight loss, or other subtle changes that may not be evident at home. At an initial appointment while your pet is young, we will also get them started on their routine kitten or puppy shots to ensure they are protected.
• We address preventable diseases such as obesity, ear infections, and dental disease
• We keep your pet up to date on vaccinations
• We give behavioral advice
• We offer nutritional advice
• Much, much more
Our team cares about your pet's well-being. This visit is also a great opportunity for you to ask any questions about our veterinary services or concerns you may have about your pet’s health, diet, or behavior. This is also an excellent time for us to discuss any routine diagnostic testing that may benefit your pet. Depending on the age of your pet and their environment, we’ll also make sure that they receive all of their necessary vaccinations. We offer kitten and puppy vaccinations in the Charlotte, NC area for new pets as well as all of the core vaccines and boosters your pet will need as they grow. Contact us today to discuss the specific needs of your pet or to schedule an appointment!
What You Need to Know About Puppy Vaccinations
Puppies are born without fully developed immune systems, which means that they are not able to fight diseases as effectively as older dogs can. Your puppy will have received its first antibodies through nursing from its mother; these antibodies generally last for several months but tend to be gone by 16 weeks of age. At this point, your puppy will need vaccinations to protect it against the most dangerous and widespread diseases.
If you’re not sure what to expect from your puppy’s shots, here are a few of the main points that you’ll need to know:
- Timing: Puppy vaccines are typically first administered at about six to eight weeks of age. They will then be repeated every three to four weeks until the puppy is at least four months old. At that point, your puppy’s booster shots will be complete. At this point, you will be able to bring your puppy to dog parks, walk it in public spaces, and begin introducing it to other animals.
- The Process: Our animal clinic will conduct a full examination before vaccinating your puppy. If your puppy has a fever or is showing signs of an illness, we will hold off on the vaccine to allow your puppy’s immune system to effectively fight its infection.
- What Vaccines Does Your Puppy Need? The specific vaccines your puppy will need will depend on where you live and the general environment your puppy will be exposed to, but all puppies will receive shots to prevent canine distemper, parvovirus, adenovirus, and rabies.
- Safety: Puppy shots are not particularly painful. Some puppies appear to feel a small pinch or sting when receiving their vaccinations, while others don’t react at all. In the time following the shots, you’ll want to carefully watch your puppy. There are some risks associated with puppy vaccinations, though they are relatively uncommon and mild. Some side effects might include mild pain and swelling at the injection site, fever, or lethargy. If your puppy develops more serious symptoms, such as hives, facial swelling, difficulty breathing, or stomach problems, contact our animal clinic immediately.
- Long-Lasting Effects: Adult dogs who have received their puppy shots will need boosters much less frequently, as evidence indicates that immunity can last several years. Our animal clinic will work with you to determine the precise immunization schedule for your dog.
If you live in the Charlotte, NC area and have a puppy that needs vaccinations, please continue reading for more information or reach out to Archdale Animal Hospital today. Our animal clinic offers comprehensive treatments for animals of all ages throughout the area.
Why Puppy Vaccinations are Necessary
While there is a small chance that your puppy will experience side effects from its vaccines, the benefits far outweigh the risks.
- Keep Your Puppy Healthy: Unvaccinated puppies are at high risk of developing very serious and sometimes fatal diseases. The required puppy vaccinations will protect it against the most dangerous and contagious conditions, helping to stop the spread and keeping your new family member safe.
- Keep Yourself and Your Family Healthy: Many diseases that affect puppies and dogs can be transferred to other animals or even people. Puppy vaccinations keep your other pets and all human members of your household safe and happy.
- Save Money: Puppy vaccinations are cost-effective; one simple series of shots can help you avoid spending money on costly treatments for painful, unpleasant, and preventable diseases.
- Stay Safe Outside: Diseases that are prevalent in wildlife, such as distemper and rabies, can easily spread to unvaccinated pets. Once your puppy receives all its vaccinations, you’ll be able to take it outside without worrying.
- Remain Compliant: North Carolina law requires that pet owners vaccinate their pets. In addition, dog parks, day cares, groomers, and other pet facilities only accept vaccinated pets for many reasons. Puppy vaccinations help you remain compliant and allow you to bring your dog anywhere necessary.
If you want to learn more about the puppy vaccinations your dog will need, don’t hesitate to contact Archdale Animal Hospital today! We serve pet owners throughout the greater Charlotte, NC area.
Puppy Vaccinations & Canine Shots
For optimal health of your puppy or dog, it is important to follow through with the recommended course of shots and vaccinations. There are several core vaccines that can be given to any canine regardless of their vaccination history, while non-core vaccines are vaccinations that are administered depending on your dog's history or risk of exposure. At Archdale Animal Hospital, our caring and compassionate staff can walk you through the vaccine schedule and provide any puppy vaccinations your young dog may need.
Canine Core Vaccinations
Canine Non-Core Vaccinations
Types of Kitten Shots & Feline Vaccinations
At Archdale Animal Hospital, we also administer feline vaccinations to ensure the health of your kitten and cat. As with the canine core class, feline core vaccines can and should be given to any feline regardless of their vaccination history, while the need for non-core vaccines depends on your cat's risk of exposure.
Feline Core Vaccinations
Feline Non-Core Vaccinations
Choose Our Animal Hospital for Your Kitten, Puppy Shots & Yearly Vaccinations
As there are many preventable infectious diseases that can pose a significant threat to dogs and cats that are unvaccinated, vaccines play a key role in keeping your pet healthy by limiting their risk of getting seriously ill and spreading disease.
Welcoming patients from across the Charlotte, NC area and the nearby communites, our animal hospital offers a comprehensive vaccine program to ensure that your cat or dog receives all of their kitten or puppy shots so that they are fully protected early on in life.
While non-core vaccines are optional for many pet owners, it is important to discuss your pet's health with our veterinarian. We may recommend non-core vaccinations based your pet's personal health history, and outside factors such as their risk for exposure to each disease. Vaccine recommendations can also change throughout a pet’s life, as travel habits and other variables in their health or lifestyle change. Our team here Archdale Animal Hospital will consider all of these factors as we determine which vaccines are right for your pet.
Proudly providing kitten shots, puppy vaccinations, and yearly vaccine boosters as well as other veterinary services to pet owners throughout Charlotte, NC, you can rest assured our team is here for you. Whether you need to schedule a routine wellness-checkups or require pet surgery, pet laser therapy treatments, or would like to schedule an animal teeth cleaning appointment, our animal clinic can help. No matter what service your pet may need, when you choose Archdale Animal Hospital, we will do all we can for your pet's health and comfort. Call us today to schedule your next wellness visit.